Finding recipes that the entire family can enjoy can be difficult. Especially when it comes to finding a meal that is both healthy and delicious. Here is a “Meatless Monday” inspired recipe that our Vice President Christina makes for us on a regular basis and we love it!
One of the main ingredients in this recipe is ‘quinoa,’ which is a delicious, gluten-free, whole grain. Just one cup of cooked quinoa contains 8.14 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber. It is also cholesterol free and has a low-fat content of only 222 calories in one cup.*
Quiona Stuffed Peppers:
- 1 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 3 cups water (or you can substitute low-sodium chicken broth)
- 6 medium peppers, color of your choosing.
- 1/2 jar of tomato sauce (12 oz)
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Olive/cooking oil spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse quinoa in water.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add quinoa, stir, cover and then turn the heat to low and cover for 15 minutes.
- Cut the tops off of the pepper and remove all of its seeds and interior.
- Spray a baking dish with olive oil and place the peppers (empty side facing up) into the dish. (Slice the bottoms of the pepper to even them out if they fall over. Be careful not to cut too deep into the pepper which will cause the contents to spill out.)
- In another dish, mix the cooked quinoa, tomato sauce, crushed garlic, chopped onion, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. (Add a sprinkling of parmesan or Romano cheese for additional flavor!)
- Scoop equal parts of the above mixture into each pepper.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes. (You can add some additional tomato sauce or olive oil to keep the peppers moist.)